Vegetable Quiche Cups
1(10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
3⁄4cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
1⁄4cup diced red peppers or 1/4 cup green pepper (or mixture of both)
1⁄4cup diced onion
Heat oven to 350F.
Line a 12 cup muffin pan with foil baking cups, spray the cups with cooking spray.
Thaw and drain spinach, wring it out well by hand.
Mix the spinach, egg whites or substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, hot pepper sauce and salt in a bowl.
Fill the foil cups with the mixture.
Bake at 350F or 20 minutes, testing so that a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Remove from cups to serve.
Guacamole Quinoa Salad
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 avocados, halved and pitted
½ small white or red onion, finely diced
½ cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
½ teaspoon kosher salt
One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Romaine lettuce, minced garlic, hot sauce, red-pepper flakes and lime wedges, for serving
1. Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
2. Score the avocado flesh (still in the skin) with a paring knife, then scoop the flesh into a large bowl. Coarsely mash about half of the avocado with a fork, leaving plenty of chunks intact. Mix in the onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt.
3. Gently fold in the black beans, tomatoes and quinoa. Taste and adjust the seasonings if desired and drizzle with olive oil.
4. Serve on a bed of romaine lettuce topped with garlic, hot sauce and red-pepper flakes alongside lime wedges.
Mediterranean Couscous with Tuna and Pepperoncini
1 cup chicken broth or water
1¼ cups couscous
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
Two 5-ounce cans oil packed tuna
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup sliced pepperoncini
⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup capers
Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, quartered
1. MAKE THE COUSCOUS: In a small pot, bring the broth or water to a boil over medium heat. Remove the pot from the heat, stir in the couscous and cover the pot. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. MAKE THE ACCOMPANIMENTS: Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss together the tuna, tomatoes, pepperoncini, parsley and capers.
3. Fluff the couscous with a fork, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Top the couscous with the tuna mixture and serve with lemon wedges.