Black Bean Breakfast Bowl
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
¼ cup salsa
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Cook and stir eggs until eggs are set, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Place black beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on High in the microwave until warm, about 1 minute.
3. Divide warmed black beans between two bowls.
4. Top each bowl with scrambled eggs, avocado, and salsa. Season with salt and black pepper.
1 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
4 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 (14 ounce) cans great Northern beans, undrained
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken, and saute until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan.
2. Saute the onion, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, jalapeno chile peppers and garlic in the same skillet. Return the chicken, along with the ginger, salt, sage, cumin and white pepper. Mix thoroughly.
3. In a separate small saucepan or skillet, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in flour to make a roux. Whisk in the chicken broth and mix all together. Stir this mixture into the sauteed chicken and vegetables.
4. Stir in the beans with can liquid, and simmer all over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked and heated through.
Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 (12 ounce) bottle liquid fajita marinade
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 heads romaine lettuce
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
½ onion, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1. Combine chicken strips and fajita marinade in a large bowl. Let marinate in the refrigerator, 1 hour to overnight.
2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
3. Combine oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Clean heads of romaine lettuce; cut in half from end to end. Brush halved romaine lettuce with oil-garlic mixture.
4. Add sliced peppers and onions to the oil-garlic mixture. Toss to combine.
5. Arrange the romaine cut-side down on the oiled grill. Cook just until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
6. If you have a grill basket, spread marinated chicken evenly in the basket; otherwise, thread chicken and vegetables on skewers. Grill chicken for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken in the basket, add the vegetables, and grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the chicken reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C), about 10 minutes more.
7. Slice grilled lettuce and place on serving plates. Divide chicken and vegetables evenly over the grilled romaine lettuce.