2 tsp canola oil
½ small red onion, diced (1 cup)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup drained, rinsed canned black beans, low sodium
¼ tsp chili flakes
Salt & Pepper
4 eggs and 4 egg whites
1/3 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
Non stick cooking spray
4 (10 inch) whole wheat tortillas
¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
¼ cup salsa
1 large tomato, seeded and diced
1 small avocado, cubed
Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat. Cook the onions and peppers until onions are softened and peppers are slightly charred, about 8 minutes. Add black beans and red pepper flakes and cook until warmed through, another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a dish.
Whisk together the eggs and egg whites then stir in the cheese. Spray the skillet with cooking spray, and reheat the skillet over a medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add eggs, scrambling until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon each sour cream (or yogurt) and salsa, then layer with 1/4 of the black bean mixture, 1/4 of the scrambled eggs, some diced tomato and 1/4 of the avocado. Season, to taste, with hot sauce. Roll up burrito-style and serve.
Lemon-Herb Rice Salad
Salt & Pepper
½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, shredded
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 cups long-grain white rice
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp packed light brown sugar
1 cucumber, seeded and diced
½ cup chopped salted roasted peanuts
½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
½ fresh mint, roughly chopped
½ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
1 bunch watercress, tough stems removed, leaves torn
1. Remove 2 wide strips zest from 1 lemon with a vegetable peeler. Combine 1 strip zest with the vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until the edges of the zest turn slightly golden, about 5 mins. Let the lemon oil cool.
2. Meanwhile, cook the rice as the label directs, adding the remaining strip lemon zest to the water. Transfer the rice to a large bowl, discarding the zest, and fluff with a fork. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing: Juice both lemons into a medium bowl. Add the vinegar, brown sugar, 1 ¼ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Discard the zest from the lemon oil, then whisk the oil into the dressing. Add the onion slices and let marinate 15 mins
4. Add the carrot, cucumber, peanuts, cilantro, mint, basil and watercress to the bowl with the rice. Add the dressing mixture and gently toss.
Easy Mediterranean Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can (14 ½ oz) no salt added stewed tomatoes
1 cup water
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ cup instant brown rice
1 package (12 oz) frozen cut green beans
12 pitted Greek olives, halved
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil on each side. Stir in the tomatoes, water, oregano and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
2. Stir in rice and green beans. Return to a boil. Cover and simmer until a thermometer reads 165° and rice is tender, 8-10 minutes longer. Stir in olives; sprinkle with cheese.