Keto Frizzled Eggs & Sausage w/ Sauteed Greens Recipe
For the Sausage
3/4 tsp dried sage, crushed
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne
3/4 tsp fennel seeds
3/4 ground pork
For the Eggs and Greens
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch kale, stemmed, leaves coarsely chopped
1/4 cup no-sugar-added chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
Salt and black pepper
2 Tbsp ghee
4 eggsHOW TO MAKE IT
1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. For the sausage: In a medium bowl, combine sage, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and fennel seeds; mix well. Add pork and gently work with your hands until spices are evenly distributed in the meat. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties; cook 8 minutes or until done (160°F), turning once. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
4. For the eggs and greens: Add olive oil to the pan. Turn heat to medium-high. Add garlic and cook until soft. Add kale, turn heat to high, and add broth. Cover and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until kale is wilted but still bright green. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until all of the liquid has evaporated, another 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
5. If there is any liquid left in the skillet, wipe it out with a paper towel. Add ghee. When ghee is hot, gently break the eggs into the skillet. Turn heat to medium. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook until whites are set and the edges are starting to turn crispy and brown.
6. To serve, top each sausage patty with a fried egg and serve with sautéed kale.
Cumin Chicken & Chickpea Stew
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¾ teaspoon salt, divided
¼ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 14-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Step 1Mash garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt on a cutting board with the back of a fork until a paste forms. Transfer to a medium bowl and whisk in lemon juice, cumin, paprika and pepper. Add chicken and stir to coat.
Step 2Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to the pan (reserve the marinade) and cook, stirring occasionally, until opaque on the outside, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juice, chickpeas, the reserved marinade and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Japanese-Inspired Chicken Noodle Soup
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 pounds bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
3 cups sliced green cabbage
2 cups sliced shiitake or enoki mushrooms
2 cups julienned carrots
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
3 cups cooked udon noodles or whole-wheat spaghetti
2 tablespoons white miso (see Tip)
Step 1Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ginger; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and chicken. Cover, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook, turning the chicken occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165 degrees F, 20 to 22 minutes. Skim any foam from the surface as the chicken cooks. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and shred.
Step 2Meanwhile, add cabbage, mushrooms and carrots to the pot; return to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are tender, 4 to 10 minutes. Stir in the shredded chicken, salt, pepper and noodles and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in miso.