Crustless Spinach Quiche
3 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1 cup fat-free milk
1 cup egg substitute
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well drained
1 small onion, finely chopped
5 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese. Add milk, egg substitute and pepper; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer to a 10-in. quiche pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
1 large, flat, clean collard leaf olive oil and salt
½ cup primary filling: hummus, or egg, tuna, or chicken salad
Toppings: sprouts, avocado, cucumbers, tomatoes, pickles, red onions
1. Lay the collard leaf on a cutting board so that the veiny side is facing up, and carefully slice out the thick stem. You’ll end up with a tapered v-shaped cut-out, but you don’t need to cut every last bit of stem out – just a couple inches of it.
2. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the leaf and sprinkle it with a little salt, then massage it briefly with your fingers. The leaf will get nice and dark and supple, which is what you want, so that it will be easier to roll and more tender to eat. (If you’ve ever massaged kale for a salad, then this step will be at least marginally familiar to you.)
3. Arrange your filling just where the cut ends, in a little row that extends nearly from one side of the leaf to nearly the other – that is, perpendicular to the cut you made. Lay down the main filling first, and then the toppings.
4. Roll it up like a burrito made from a tortilla that you cut a V-shape out of: Tuck the sides in first, then roll the leaf up over snugly the filling.
5. Cut in half just before eating.
Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
2 tablespoons peanut oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced cabbage
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 cups sugar snap peas
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Heat peanut oil in a wok or large skillet. When oil begins to smoke, quickly stir in 2 cloves minced garlic, ginger root, green onions and salt. Stir fry until onion becomes translucent, about 2 minutes. Add chicken and stir until opaque, about 3 minutes. Add remaining 4 cloves minced garlic and stir. Add sweet onions, cabbage, bell pepper, peas and 1/2 cup of the broth/water and cover.
2. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup broth/water, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch. Add sauce mixture to wok/skillet and stir until chicken and vegetables are coated with the thickened sauce. Serve immediately, over hot rice if desired.